The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (MIB) on Thursday refuted media reports claiming that it had ordered the removal of the word ‘Baloch’ from the film ‘Dhurandhar’, clarifying that no such directive was issued by the government and that the changes were initiated by the film’s producers themselves.
According to a UNI report, the statement was made yesterday after reports suggested that the Ministry had intervened in the film’s content. The MIB clarified that the makers of ‘Dhurandhar’ had independently approached the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC), seeking certain modifications in the revised version of the film, which are currently being examined under the routine certification process prescribed in the Cinematograph Act and Rules.
Directed by Aditya Dhar, ‘Dhurandhar’ stars Ranveer Singh and Akshaye Khanna in pivotal roles and is built around a tense narrative involving four of Pakistan’s most notorious militants. The film explores the region’s complex social and ethnic landscape through a blend of real incidents and fictionalised storytelling, examining the collision between extremist networks and state structures.
Akshaye Khanna essays the role of Rehman Dakait, a character depicted as being of Baloch heritage and referred to as ‘Sher-e-Baloch’ in the film. The storyline also shows members of the Baloch community supplying weapons to Dakait, which are later sold to the ISI and linked to terror attacks against India, including references connecting the weapons to the 26/11 Mumbai attacks.
A source in the Ministry told UNI that the revisions proposed in the new version were submitted by the applicants or producers and are being assessed by the CBFC as part of the standard certification procedure. “The revisions were permitted in accordance with CBFC guidelines, which mandate that visuals or words that may be contemptuous of racial, religious or other groups should not be presented. The process was carried out as per Rule 31,” the source said.
The source further indicated that objections had reportedly been raised by members of the Baloch community over their portrayal in the initial version of the film. Anticipating backlash, the producers are said to have voluntarily approached the CBFC with a revised cut containing changes.
The revised version of ‘Dhurandhar’ was screened across theatres nationwide on Thursday. Reports had earlier claimed that cinemas received emails from distributors stating that a new Digital Cinema Package was being issued after muting two words and altering a dialogue, allegedly citing directions from the MIB. The Ministry, however, has categorically denied issuing any such instructions.
RIL to invest Rs 10 lakh crore in AI over 7 years, says Ambani
Vaishnaw inaugurates WAVES Creators’ Corner at AI summit
Vaishnaw tells global tech, content platforms to follow local rules
Vaishnaw feels AI, creativity will co-exist; strong guardrails needed
Lula pushes UN reform, stronger India ties: India Today
Kuku launches AI-generated microdramas at India AI Impact Summit
Bobby Deol’s ‘Bandar’ set for May 22 theatrical release
News18 Network to host Chennai Town Hall on Tamil Nadu’s political future
Global media leaders to gather for Content India 2026 in Mumbai 

